As reviews have started pouring in, Playtonic Games has announced details for the upcoming Yooka-Laylee day one update. The said update was announced, though many figured it was just to remove the voice of JonTron after his controversial remarks. It turns out that the update will also fix a problem many critics have had with the game: its camera.
Many were worried about the game after Jim Sterling made some remarks about it, but it seems to be okay. Sterling gave it a harsh review, but other critics have been somewhat kinder while also pointing out its flaws. The camera is one of the game’s major flaws, with many stating that it helps date the game a bit.
Day One Patch Details
Eurogamer stated that the Yooka-Laylee day one update would fix a number of issues and bugs whilst also adding improvements. A number of these are camera improvements for levels that bugged players and left them in awkward angles. Others are performance improvements which the game needed since there were reports on a few frame drops here and there.
- [Fixed] Camera will become locked in place after completing Gravity Room challenge in Galleon
- [Fixed] Grappling the seeds as they break in Planker’s challenge causes erratic behavior in Moodymaze Marsh
- [Fixed] Game softlocks and has to be reset if the player leaves the course and faints during the Nimble race in Tribalstack Tropics
- [Fixed] Softlock will sometimes occur on the Hub C slide if the player faints at the same moment as the timer reaching zero
- [Fixed] If the player leaves Brreeeze Block’s room in the Icymetric Palace in Glitterglaze Glacier but remains in the world and returns to the same room then the isometric camera will be deactivated
- [Fixed] If player is killed by a bizzy in hub B and knocked back into the archive door at the exact same time, the screen will still transition. When the player respawns, they will be unable to move
- Performance improvements to various camera transitions in the introductory cut scene
- Performance improvements to Shipwreck Creek and Hivory Towers. Various areas have been improved including camera movement
- Performance improvements when using the light beam in the Icymetric Palace within Glitterglaze Glacier
- Performance improvements during the House of Cards ball roll course in Capital Cashino
- Performance improvements in the Bee-Bop arcade game
The Yooka-Laylee day one update will be available when the game launches, but is rolling out now for those that Kickstarted it. Players can get the game on April 11 for the PC, PS4 and Xbox One. A Nintendo Switch version is in the works.