Microsoft just rolled out the latest Windows 10 Anniversary update yesterday. And along with it comes new features both for PC and tablets users. Here are some of them:
- Bash command line – Probably one of the most used tool for Linux developers, Microsoft has finally decided to include in this update of Windows 10. Although not enabled by default, once enabled, updated are installed automatically.
- New Skype App – Microsoft has added a new universal app for Skype. Integrated directly to Windows, the app launches instantly. Users get notification about calls and messages whether the app is open or not.
- Notification sync – Android and Windows phones users can now get their mobile notifications on their Windows PCs of tablets through Cortana. Users can even send photos, dismiss notifications, or reply to messages.
- Windows Ink – Microsoft made a few amendments to the Windows Ink. One of which is the Screen Sketch feature. This automatically takes screen grabs that the user can then doodle on and then quickly share to anyone. Along with this improvement, users can also use Windows Ink on stick notes to jot down reminders and Cortana will automatically transform it to true reminders.
- Microsoft Edge extensions – For Edge fans, Microsoft added extensions to it like AdBlock, 1Password, LastPass, and Evernote. They also made improvements on the app to improve the battery life of mobile devices.
- Cortana improvements – Now, users can use Cortana even with the screen on lock mode.Users will be able to do a lot of stuff like setting appointments, playing media, and making a note without ever logging in.
- Darker themes – Microsoft also made minor improvements on the UI of Windows 10. This time around, they opted for a darker theme.
- Windows Hello – This app, used to unlock the Windows PC through facial recognition, is getting integrated into other apps as well. Users can now enter their password for websites without ever touching the keyboard.
- Project to PC – This new feature is basically an updated version of Remote Desktop. Users will be able to project your display to any machine, be it a PC or mobile device.
Installing the update
Microsoft will be rolling out the automatic updates for the Windows 10 Anniversary in batches. However, for people who just can wait for it to happen, here are a couple of ways on how you can do them.
- Update through Windows Update – From Settings, go to Updates & Security, then select Windows Update. Once there, simply click on the ?Check for Updates? button. The Windows 10 Anniversary update will be version 1607. Click update and Windows will begin downloading and installing.
- ?Learn more? – If Windows update doesn?t work for some weird reason, users can click on the ?Learn more? link within the Windows 10 Update screen. This will take you to Microsoft?s support page that will allow you to download the update ISO.
For more Windows 10 update, stay tuned to TheBitBag.