I know I’ve been off the grid for a few days now since my move to my new home, but I had to make sure I got this news out to everyone as soon as I saw it.
First off, the game has been in the works for a F2P transition from the premium monthly fee for some time now. I got the E-Mail this afternoon with the following presser.
TURBINE LAUNCHES FREE-TO-PLAY DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE®: EBERRON UNLIMITED™
First Premium Free-to-Play Game Now Open For Business
WESTWOOD, MA – September 9, 2009 – Turbine, Inc. announced today the launch of Dungeons & Dragons Online®: Eberron Unlimited™ (DDO Unlimited), a free-to-play massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) which delivers heart-pounding game play featuring the industry’s best combat system, a massive world with state-of-the-art graphics and gameplay, and a rich set of features that until now could only be found in premium subscription-based MMOs.
DDO Unlimited introduces an innovative new pricing model that allows players to download and play for free, purchasing adventure packs, items, and account services a la carte from the new DDO Store, or to subscribe to get unlimited access to all of the game’s content. Starting today, players can download and play DDO Unlimited for free by visiting http://www.ddo.com.
“Today Turbine changes the way gamers experience their online entertainment by providing them with a choice in how they pay and play for a premium MMO,” said Jim Crowley, CEO of Turbine, Inc. “The DDO Unlimited Beta program has been a huge success and the initial response to the game from both press and players has been nothing short of phenomenal. In response, we have already more than doubled our capacity to handle the increased demand.”
“DDO Unlimited is the most innovative, exciting and feature rich MMO to ever hit the free to play market,” said Fernando Paiz, Executive Producer of DDO Unlimited. “We’ve come a long way since our launch and it has been very rewarding to see the positive response to the game from players and reporters alike. DDO Unlimited’s future is very bright and we’re already getting more adventures ready to introduce to the game later in the year.”
DDO Unlimited delivers the best combat of any MMO and the most heart-pounding action this side of a keyboard, plus a lot more!
1. DDO Unlimited’s New Content & Features – DDO Unlimited delivers a new class, increases the level cap to 96 ranks, introduces new adventure packs including a new 12-player raid, and features major combat improvements.
2. The Fiercest Combat of any MMO – DDO Unlimited features an extraordinary heart- pounding combat experience that requires players to fully engage in the battle by relying on their wits and reflexes in real time. No more clicking skills and watching the action from the sideline.
3. Mind-blowing Visuals – Explore a vast and dangerous online world that features the most advanced graphics in the industry and is stuffed with the legendary monsters, glorious treasures, devious traps, mind-bending puzzles and endless adventures from the world’s best known RPG.
4. Full-featured MMO – Experience sophisticated systems found only in the best games including auctions, NPC hirelings, arena death matches (Player versus Player), crafting, and powerful social tools for finding a group, forming a guild or planning an epic raid!
5. Easier Than Ever! – DDO Unlimited gets you playing in minutes instead of hours, using new proprietary Turbine technology. Creating a new character is incredibly simple with guides and templates that speed you through the process. Features an all-new new player experience that gives gamers their first taste of excitement quickly while teaching them how to play solo or with a group of fellow adventurers.
DDO Unlimited is based on the world-renowned DUNGEONS & DRAGONS® franchise of Wizards of the Coast LLC, a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc.® (NYSE: HAS), under license to Infogrames Entertainment S.A.® Published by Atari, Inc.®, DDO has been enthusiastically received by many gaming critics, including The New York Times, PC Gamer, Game Informer and many more. For the latest information, please visit www.ddo.com.
Turbine, Inc. is the premier creator and operator of massive, persistent online worlds that foster powerful social gaming communities. Turbine is the largest privately-held online gaming studio in North America and has created some of the world’s most popular and award-winning online games, including The Lord of the Rings Online™, Dungeons & Dragons Online®: Eberron Unlimited™, and Asheron’s Call®. For more information on Turbine, its products and services please visit www.turbine.com.
New York-based Atari, Inc. develops interactive games for all platforms and is one of the largest third-party publishers of interactive entertainment software in the U.S. The Company’s 1,000+ titles include hard-core, genre-defining franchises such as The Matrix™ (Enter The Matrix and The Matrix: Path of Neo) and Test Drive®; and mass-market and children’s franchises such as Nickelodeon’s Blue’s Clues™ and Dora the Explorer™, and Dragon Ball Z®. Atari, Inc. is a majority-owned subsidiary of France-based Infogrames Entertainment SA (Euronext – ISIN: FR-0000052573), the largest interactive games publisher in Europe. For more information, visit www.atari.com.
You can download the High Res Client if you have a more powerful PC “Like ME”.
Come join me if you want to try it out. I will post my name and server once I log in for the first time and create my DDO character.
Dungeons and Dragons holds a true and dear place in my heart. I remember playing the board game as a teenager through out most of my High School years and also playing the many iterations of D&D on the windows platform.
I can’t say that I’ve played many if any D&D games on a console. Something about D&D’s roots that make me mentally enjoy it more on a PC. But that’s just me. I hope to see many of my friends on the servers soon as I’m will be sending out the private E-Mails to them after I post this here on the BitBag.
Now the classic screens.