As if Greater Rifts weren?t enough to up the ante on the scaled difficulty dungeons in Diablo 3 RoS, the mysterious burning tower in the concept art may not only be Caldeum but also a new mechanic know as Tower Siege Mode.
That?s right, high-skilled (and no-skills) players can still get their fix from this new challenge feature in Greater Rifts. Essentially, this is where the game tries really hard to kill you. If you?re in the mood to find a beautiful death for one of your Hardcore characters, the PTR is testing one right now.
So what is Tower Siege mode? Here are the mechanics:
- Instead of a Greater Rift token you get a Trial Rift token dropped in front of you.
- You use the Trial Rift token on the Obelisk and are warped to a special dungeon.
- In this dungeon, you get met with waves and waves of enemies non-stop.
- After each wave, the difficulty gets higher and the monster damage and HP increase.
- At the moment, the first wave starts at the same level your current Greater Rift level and gets deadlier after that.
Suffice to say, this is where Diablo 3 RoS wants to kill players in a shorter amount of time. While some Hardcore players would stay away from such a dungeon, it could be a great way to see your toon go out with the level of enemies he or she ?are worthy of your prowess.
Apparently, the high starting difficulty of the Tower Siege mode is a bug and Blizzard actually wants to design an experience that isn?t so deadly?at least at the start.
What do you think of this new mode? Blizzard is still tweaking it but I do hope it?s going to be part of Diablo 3 RoS Patch 2.1 when it goes live.