In our attempt to practice good personal hygiene, we tend to buy products that are advertised to be effective without doing some research about their effects on the environment. Take a look at shampoos, for example. Can you imagine how many bottles did you throw in the landfill? Are these bottles biodegradable, or are they only meant to fill our lands as trash?
Our planet is facing a serious problem. We need drastic changes to save our homes. Good thing companies are starting to acknowledge climate change, leading them to help one another in promoting green and sustainable products. With this move, ethical consumption is becoming the norm and as a result, the companies who are not yet into the green movement are forced to meet the demands of the conscious buyers. One part of the change is the creation of eco-friendly shampoos. These shampoos are produced to eliminate single-use of plastics and emit the littlest possible carbon footprint. This way, consumers wouldn’t find it hard to transition into a sustainable, low-waste, or even a zero-waste lifestyle. Now, switching to a greener lifestyle is not as hard as it seems
But if you are still facing difficulties in knowing what shampoo brands to support and what products are truly eco-friendly. We have a recommendations list below of the most effective eco-friendly shampoos in the market!
What is an eco-friendly shampoo?
Eco-friendly shampoos do not just reduce the use of plastic. But even from the process, ingredients, and own to the packaging, companies make sure they use all-natural, organic, non-GMO, and cruelty-free ingredients. The best eco-friendly shampoo should not only be better for the environment but can also take good care of your hair, too.
How to choose the best eco-friendly shampoo?
The criteria for finding the best eco-friendly shampoo is simple: It has to be good for your crowning glory and safe for the environment. Here are a few points you have to check
- Know what’s in your shampoo. Look for products that are free from all the chemical nasties. An eco-friendly shampoo should be friendly for your hair too. There should be no paraben, phthalate, sulfates, or any chemicals that you cannot read.
- Smart packaging. Good eco-friendly shampoo practices being friendly to the environment even in their packaging. There are shampoo bars that do not require a plastic bottle. But there are still liquid eco-friendly shampoos that use recycled plastic or compostable bottles.
- Cruelty-free. Shampoos tested on animals cannot be friendly to the environment simply because we exploit animals and it’s not healthy for the planet.
- Third-party certifications. This is the most important. Consider eco-friendly shampoos that are USDA-approved and NSF-certified. It means that they are safe for the people, tested on proper channels, and safe for the environment.
Types of eco-friendly shampoos
There are different kinds of eco-friendly shampoo that you can purchase and here are some of these:
- Shampoo bars. These are the most common type of eco-friendly shampoo. They are in solid form so they do not need to be put in a plastic bottle or container.
- Packaged in a recycled bottle, or Glass. There are also companies like Zero Co. that offer refillable products. They produced their containers from plastics that come from the landfills. They refill the bottles they release to their subscribers.
- Compostable bottles. Not many make these containers but companies are trying to make this in replacement of plastic bottles.
Your hair deserves all the care, but so is the planet. It wouldn’t make any sense to overuse our planet’s free resources just for the sake of growing shiny, healthy hair.