Did you know that protein (and not vitamins or minerals) is the most essential component of a complete and balanced diet for some of our dogs? Yup! Maybe it’s the reason why they love meat! Some dogs need a diet that provides amino acids to stay healthy and happy. And proteins are the best providers of amino acids. A good diet for these kinds of dogs needs to have a higher protein content than carbs.
What dogs benefit from a high-protein diet?
Some dogs will benefit more from a high-protein diet than others will. To know if your dog needs this kind of diet, check if they belong to the categories below:
- Working Dogs – Dogs who spend most of their time working often require more calories and more protein than the average dog. This includes police or military K9s, search-and-rescue dogs, herding dogs, guard dogs, tracking dogs, and hunting dogs.
- Canine Athletes – If you and your dog spend hours each week training for agility trials, disc dog activities, or any other canine sport, a diet with high-protein dog food can help ensure he gets enough fuel for his muscles. It includes dogs who run or jog alongside their owners regularly.
- Reproductively Active Female Dogs – Pregnant and nursing dogs require a bit more protein than usual, as they are essentially helping to build new dogs from the ground up.
We always want to give our furry friends snacks that make them happy. But instead of making them joyful for a day or two, what they really need is a diet that fits their body’s needs. That means giving up their daily consumption of unhealthy snacks. Finding the best high-protein dog food is a step ahead of the game since animal nutritionists recommend high-protein dog food.
To help you look for dog food that completes a balanced diet of our pet dogs, here’s a curation of some of the best high-protein dog food.
How much protein do dogs need?
According to the Association of American Feed Controls (AAFCO), the adult maintenance minimum that dogs need to survive is just 18% Crude Protein and 22.5% for their growth and reproduction. A diet that exceeds this minimum amount is one way of ensuring that dogs do not just survive, but that they are eating nutrition that would let them thrive.
Why should you give high-protein dog food to your furry friend?
You know how proteins benefit the human body. Like us, dogs need protein to strengthen their overall well-being. Here are a few reasons why:
- Dietary protein is essential for the growth of almost all tissues in a dog’s body.
- Protein works to supply the amino acids necessary for the dog’s body to build hair, skin, muscles, cartilage, tendons, and ligaments.
- Protein makes up the enzymes that drive all metabolic reactions, the hormones that act as a dog’s chemical messengers in the body, and antibodies that comprise the immune system to help keep dogs healthy.
- Protein helps ensure a soft and shiny coat, lean, strong muscles, and healthy immune systems.
Below are a few brands of dog food we love that have a higher protein content. Feeding a diet rich in meat protein helps promote the optimal health of all dogs.