Recently, Vodafone Spain tipped out that Sony Xperia SP may receive an Android 4.4.2 KitKat after Sony Mobile told them of a new firmware under development. Now, a leaked document reveals Android KitKat update to be released between June and July 2014 for Xperia SP.
Sony Xperia SP Android KitKat
Sony smartphones from the 2013 line-up are expected to get new firmware builds starting in June 2014. According to JustAboutPhones, a leaked document revealed that Sony Xperia SP will receive Android 4.4.2 KitKat from June to July 2014 which somehow confirms the claim of Vodafone Spain that Sony Mobile is currently developing a new firmware for the smartphone.
However, any leaked document showing the roadmap of software updates can easily be faked, and takes more than just a piece of paper to prove. Users should monitor for Sony?s official announcement or additional information from network carriers which offer Xperia SP.
Other 2013 Xperia smartphones include Xperia C, Xperia L, and Xperia T set for Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update.
As of this time, Sony Xperia SP?s official Android 4.4.2 KitKat remains under investigation similar to Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V. Sony Mobile is currently offering Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update for the device.
Factors of Eligibility
Sony Mobile cannot deny that Xperia SP is eligible for an Android 4.4.2 KitKat update even if it?s a 2013 smartphone model. In addition, most Android smartphones are receiving two major updates within the 18 months of software support starting from the official market release. Here are factors why Sony should give Xperia SP another major firmware upgrade.
- Announced last March 2013 and was released on April 2013. It is only 13 to 14 months old using those dates.
- Expiration date is expected to occur on October 2014 based on April 2013 release date.
- Android 4.5 is coming out before October which means Android 4.4.2 will likely be its final firmware version.
- Hardware components are compatible with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean which is heavier than Android KitKat vanilla.
- Smart Social camera has been enabled in Android 4.3 and Sony does not have to import exclusives from Xperia Z2.
For those who cannot wait for Android 4.4.2 KitKat from Sony, check out the video below of Sony Xperia SP running the latest firmware via CyanogenMod 11.
Photo Source: Sony Mobile