Sony Mobile officially listed Xperia Z devices getting Android 4.4 KitKat for May 2014 as a follow-up to Xperia Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z1 Compact update.
New Update for Older Xperia Z Series?
For May 2014, Sony Mobile confirms the official Xperia Z devices receiving an Android 4.4 KitKat firmware as a promise from their last month?s commitment of delivering new updates for more Xperia devices.
Sony Mobile will deliver the official Android 4.4 KitKat update to Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR and Xperia Tablet Z on May 2014. And as evidence, they already updated the official software support page of these devices.
You can now see that all four Xperia gadgets are set for Android 4.4 KitKat in the software support page and noted with ?Next Version: Android 4.4 (KitKat) 2014-05.? However, Sony Mobile has not announced the specific release dates next month and rollout may vary per region and network operator.
Android 4.4 KitKat Features
Sony Mobile Android 4.4 KitKat brings a whole new Sony user experience on every updated Xperia device that includes performance tweaks and new functionalities.
- Google Android KitKat standard features for performance and user interface optimisation.
- Additional tweaks for the Status Bar and Quick Settings with more intuitive and customisable features.
- New user interface similar on Sony PlayStation 4 such as new launch animation and live wallpaper across the lock and home screens.
- Latest versions of Sony native applications such as Messaging, My Xperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, Sony Select and Smart Social Camera.
- Updated Sony media applications: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, and integration of Sony Entertainment cloud service.
- Unique customisation interface using Xperia Themes with available downloads from Sony Select or Google Play Store.
Sony Mobile is also planning to upgrade Xperia T2 Ultra, Xperia E1 and Xperia M2 to Android 4.4 KitKat, but it will not be released yet in May. The company only announced the eligibility of these Xperia Smartphones, and will release news as soon as they receive more details about the firmware.
Xperia SP, T, TX and V are still under investigation on receiving Android 4.4 KitKat. Recently, an inquiry from a Sony representative on a French forum revealed that Xperia SP is not a candidate anymore for an Android KitKat upgrade but Sony Mobile has not yet confirmed this officially.
Photo Source: Sony Mobile