This is great for you IT guys. Newertech just announced their Voyager Q external docking drive. It works with SATA I/II drives at 2.5 or 3.5″ drive height. You just pop that sucker into the Voyager and you get high speed data through ESATA, USB and Firewire, all for $99. Here’s the full release:
NEWERTECH ANNOUNCES NEW VOYAGER Q HARD DRIVE DOCKING SOLUTION AT MACWORLD EXPO 2009
Turns Any 2.5″ or 3.5″ SATA I/II up to 2.0TB Hard Drive into an External Drive
Mac and PC Plug & Play Ready – Boot and Hot-Swap Drives at Will
January 6, 2009, San Francisco — Newer Technology, Inc. (NewerTech®) http://www.newertech.com, the leading developer of PC, Macintosh®, iPod®, and iPhone® performance upgrades and accessories, debuted the new NewerTech Voyager Q Hard Drive Docking Solution today at Macworld Expo, booth S-2322, in San Francisco. The new Voyager Q turns any 2.5″ or 3.5″ Serial ATA (SATA) I/II up to 2.0TB hard drive into a fully bootable and hot-swappable external drive solution and features four interfaces: FireWire® 800, FireWire 400, USB 2.0, and eSATA for maximum data transfer performance and connection flexibility.
New Life for Old Drives
Voyager Q gives new life to older, swapped out drives. With Voyager Q, bare hard drives can offer the same swapability, ease of use and convenience as flash memory cards, but with a much higher storage capacity. In addition, with Voyager’s new custom, stylish design, weighted base and drive eject lever, Voyager Q makes inserting, using, and removing SATA I/II hard drives a safe and effortless procedure.
Voyager Q is a Plug & Play easy to use external hard drive solution that works with both Macs and PCs. Simply insert a 2.5″ or 3.5″ SATA I/II hard drive (up to 2.0TB) into Voyager’s compact docking base and select the fastest interface supported by the connected computer to boot and hot-swap drives at will, with data transfer speeds of up to 300MB/s. Because there isn’t anything to install or configure, Voyager Q saves users the time and inconvenience of installing a hard drive into a computer or using an external hard drive enclosure which may have limited interfaces and slower speeds.
NewerTech Voyager Q Features:
• Supports all 2.5″ and 3.5″ SATA I/II hard drives up to 2.0TB
• Data transfer rates up to 3.0Gb/s (300MB/s)
• Ports: Two FireWire 800, one FireWire 400, one USB 2.0/1.1 Mini-B, one eSATA
• Drive eject lever for safe hard drive removal
• Hot-Swap functionality for fast access of multiple hard drives (except eSATA)
• Weighted base and non skid rubber feet for stable operation
• 2-Color Status LED: blue for power on, flashing red for disk activity
• Compact design: measures 3.94″ x 5.93″ x 3.17″ (W x D x H), weighs 1.32 lbs. (without drive)
• Whisper Quiet operation – no cooling fan needed
• Plug and Play with Macs and PCs
• All interface connection cables included
• FCC, CE, RoHS Compliant
• One year warranty
The NewerTech Voyager Q is priced at $99.95 MSRP and is available immediately from NewerTech’s exclusive distributor, Other World Computing (OWC®), at www.macsales.com, as well as through the retail channel. The Voyager Q includes all supported interface connector cables, an auto-switching power supply for worldwide compatibility, and a one year warranty.