Playstation continues to dominate and is doing it right for 2008. They outsold the competition combined with a total of 296,000 PS3’s sold in the month of January. That’s 17% higher than Microsoft. PSN had a total of 7.9 million downloads which topped Decembers 6.6 Million. I’m sure Microsoft will answer with their numbers by tomorrow. Full release after the jump.
PlayStation by the Numbers
January 2008 PS3 Outsells Xbox 360; PlayStation Brand Outsells Competition Combined
PlayStation Hardware Momentum
• PS3 Outsold Xbox 360: PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) demonstrated continued momentum in January 2008 with 269K hardware units sold in January, 17% higher than Microsoft.
• PLAYSTATION®Network total downloads exceeded 7.9 million in January 2008, well above the 6.6 million in December 2007. Currently in North America there are more than 2.9 million registered PLAYSTATION Network accounts and more than 52M total downloads life-to-date from PLAYSTATION Store.
• The best is yet to come: The influx of exceptional exclusive and third-party games like Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Grand Theft Auto IV, not to mention later releases such as LittleBigPlanet, Resistance 2, SingStar, to name a few, combined with current momentum for Blu-ray, are expected to further enthusiasm for PS3.
• PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) continued its sales ascent in January 2008 with 230K PSP hardware units sold in January; representing an increase of 9% over January 2007. Also, with its new partnership with Skype™ and great upcoming new games, such as God of War: Chains of Olympus, Patapon and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, further sales growth is expected in 2008.
• PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had an excellent month in January with hardware unit sales reaching 264K units. Also, the PS2 sold more software units than any other console on the market.
Power of the PlayStation Portfolio
• According to NPD January 2008 sales data, the PlayStation brand generated the most U.S. retail dollars in the industry with $486 million, 25% higher than Nintendo and 61% higher than Microsoft.
• The PlayStation brand was #1 in both hardware and software in January.
• The PlayStation brand sold more hardware units than Nintendo and Microsoft
combined (764K versus 530K and 230K, respectively).
• PlayStation total hardware revenue was $196 million in January; surpassing the total hardware revenue of Microsoft and Nintendo combined.
• PlayStation total software revenue in January was $224 million, 38% higher than Microsoft.
“Coming off a great holiday sales season we see strong momentum behind PS3 in 2008, and feel confident about the year ahead. We have an exceptionally diverse lineup of exclusive games, from Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Metal Gear Solid 4 and Resistance 2 to more mainstream games such as LittleBigPlanet and SingStar. Beyond that, we have Blu-ray emerging as the de facto high def standard, the developer community is hitting their stride, consumers are recognizing the tremendous value and innovative services such as PlayStation Home are all in the works, so this is definitely shaping up to be a breakthrough year for us.”
– Jack Tretton, CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America