News

Pacquiao Vs Mayweather Rematch On? 2017 Fight Possible?

By on
pacquiao vs mayweather rematch
pacquiao vs mayweather

Boxing aficionados could probably get to see another ?Fight of the Century,? a rematch between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Manny Pacquiao, come next year. Top Rank CEO Bob Arum stated that if Pacquiao wins his comeback fight against Jessie Vargas, he will have two more bouts scheduled for 2017.

?If he wins this fight, we have the idea for a couple of big fights next year. And I think that will end his career with two more fights in 2017,? Arum told Philippine reporters on Wednesday, Inquirer.net. ?[Terence] Crawford is a possibility, and who knows, Mayweather may be a possibility. You know, Mayweather?s making noises about returning and going to a 50th fight.?

Pacquiao will come out of his brief retirement to face reigning World Boxing Organization welterweight champion Jessie Vargas on November 5 in Las Vegas. The 37-year-old boxer and a Philippines senator confirmed that he is returning to the ring in November.

?Boxing is my passion,? Pacquiao said in a statement. ?I miss what I’d been doing inside the gym and atop the ring.?

Pacquiao had lost to Mayweather by a unanimous decision in what was dubbed as the ?Fight of the Century? in May 2015. The Pacquiao camp later revealed that he fought with an injured right shoulder.

Arum declared that he wants it to be against Mayweather because the Filipino boxing icon was not in his best shape during the big-money fight last year. He is quite confident that Pacquiao, with a healthy shoulder, will win if the two boxing superstars collide again in 2017.

?Let?s see Manny with a fully-healed shoulder. I think Manny would give a lot better account of himself in that fight. I thought it was a very close fight. I thought Manny could have won that fight. When they fight again, if they fight again, I have no doubt that Manny will win.?

However, for the rematch to happen, it would also require Mayweather to come out of retirement. Mayweather, who owns a perfect 49-0 professional record, retired after winning against Andre Berto in September last year. The Grand Rapids, Michigan native has said all along that he is not planning to return to boxing and that he is happy with his retirement.

About the author

To Top