For the longest time, PlayStation reigns supreme over the console market.
NPD has recently released a report on the retail sales in the video game industry for September 2015. It has revealed that the PlayStation 4 console is the best-selling console and the number one in software sales for that particular month. The PlayStation 4 has become the leading gaming console in the USA with an estimated 9 million units sold.
Though the hardware sales have dropped to 27% ($313.5 million) from last year ($431.2 million), but both the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are tracking 40% higher than their last-gen predecessors in the same time frame. More than 80% of the hardware sales came from the PlayStation 4 Destiny: The Taken King bundle pack.
Meanwhile, software retail sales are at $465.6 million, which was just 4% lower from last year?s $480.6 million. The total sales of NBA 2K16, Madden, Metal Gear Solid V and Destiny: The Awaken King has contributed to the overall sale for September thought there were outmatched by last year?s Destiny game launch and Super Smash Bros. for the 3DS despite in a slim margin. Accessories and Toy to Life items have signs of increased sale with $230.9 million, a 24% improvement from last year, this was all thanks to the sales from Amiibo and Skylanders toys.
- NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360)
- FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Destiny: The Taken King (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
- Disney Infinity 3.0 (360, Wii U, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
- Mad Max (PS4, Xbox One)
- NHL 16 (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
For October, sales will be expected to be favorable to Microsoft as we see the launch of Halo 5: Guardians at that month.