Well we all knew that the sales were going to be record breaking for both the PS3 and 360. While both Sony and Microsoft have made statements about sales, this is the first official sales and stats release from Microsoft.
The Gamerscore Blog would like to congratulate Rockstar on the launch of Grand Theft Auto IV. GTA sold over 6 million units, and broke the entertainment record with over $500 million in sales.
We got some data from the US team, and we’re here to share that news with you:
- Actual MS sales data from last week shows Xbox 360 console sales at retail went up 54% week-over-week as a result of GTA’s success
- According to retailers more than 60% of all GTA games sold in the first week were the Xbox 360 version
- Retailers are telling us that the game is attaching strongly to new console sales, with roughly 40% of new consoles selling with a copy of Grand Theft Auto IV
Regarding Xbox LIVE:
- In the first week, more than 2.3 million people played Grand Theft Auto IV on Xbox LIVE
- GTA IV is now the number one played game on Xbox LIVE
- Over the weekend, we saw the Xbox LIVE service reach 1 million concurrent users
- Gamers have unlocked more than 12 million achievements worth over 100 million gamerscore points in GTA
- Grand Theft Auto IV set a new record for time played, with the average gamer spending more than four hours playing the game on LIVE in the first week alone