The most recent entry in the Mass Effect series isn’t all that it’s hyped to be it garnered mixed reception from critics. There may be more to the reason why the game failed helplessly and it could have started early on in the game’s development. It seems as though the Mass Effect Andromeda development cycle was in trouble from the start.
A former Bioware VFX employee’s review of the company painted the studio in a bad light. It seems like things aren’t all good from the developer’s side of Mass Effect Andromeda and it could be a reason why the game failed to live up to the hype. Below is the rundown of the former employee’s negative comments:
- Bioware Edmonton and Montreal symbiosis is broken. Lots of conflicts and bro culture.
- Lost over 13 leads (game design, art, audio, prog, senior core leads, etc) in 5 years at Bioware Montreal on Mass Effect. Edmonton lost only 3. It is clear that Edmonton has the bigger part of the stick when it comes to purge Leads and Producers who are not aligned with their leadership style.
- Putting people on performance improvement program (PIP Program) is the new tactics to get rid of people. Once again more than 10 people in Montreal got slammed with this bureaucratic uppercut to let go people that are not bending to Edmonton leadership styles in the last revision cycle. This approach is used by the Montreal Leadership to purge the mess from the lack of vision cause by upper management in the last 4 years (throwing people under the bus to protect bad core management).
- Renaming crunch to Finaling mode. Which means company pays for your lunch but you have only 30 minutes to eat and then getting back on the keyboard. Was lasting for over 2 months and was a real catastrophy.
- Retaliation and harassment is sadly a reality. If you talk and ask questions you will be tag as a trouble maker and end up in a bad position.
- HR won’t help you out. They will deny the current harassment from Monreal management by ignoring and not documenting the facts. In other words if you leave don’t talk. Just let it go…
- Many benifits got cut due to too much time extension to get the game done.
From the look of things, employees of Bioware might’ve went through hell during the development of Mass Effect Andromeda. It’s no surprise if we find out that the game has been abandoned by many employees mid-development. This could be the reason for a few of the issues in the game including, the animations.
Gamers over at NeoGAF also pointed out that a side-by-side comparison video between the leaked gameplay footage last year and the one available at launch reveals a huge animation downgrade. It’s obvious that a lot of things got downgraded at launch. We’re likely to never know the full reason behind why the game was made the way it is now, but it looks like internal issues prevented the studio from releasing a better game.