Gamescom 2016 is around the corner and Square Enix has already revealed their show?s lineup.
The CEO of Square Enix Americas and Europe, Phil Rogers, claimed that this year?s Gamescom will feature the biggest show in the studio?s history.
?At this year?s E3 we presented our biggest line-up ever. At Gamescom 2016 we will set another mark with the biggest show in our history. We are very happy to offer hands-on of these highly-anticipated titles to gamers from all over the world.?
However, the much anticipated Kingdom Hearts 3, the game that was originally announced nearly three years ago during Sony’s E3 2013 press event, will not be featured in this ?biggest-lineup.? Not much was revealed about the game at E3 2016 and neither will there be at the Gamescom. Square Enix will instead focus on the Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8: Final Chapter Prologue that will be released globally on PlayStation 4 this December.
In an interview with VentureBeat, Tai Yasue, who is the director of the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 3, as well as Kingdom Hearts 2.8, elaborated on why the game has taken a back seat.??It was a difficult decision for us. We want to share as much as possible. We?re excited about Kingdom Hearts III. But II.8 we?re releasing globally at the beginning of December. We wanted to concentrate on that first. We want what?s best for the moment. We?re currently making III and 2.8 at the same time, but we wanted to concentrate on 2.8 right now.?
But Square Enix also teased that more info regarding the ?new announcements and reveals? at the Gamescom 2016 will be released in the coming weeks. Thus, there is still hope that the company may come up with something like a gameplay trailer or rather new information.
Logically, it seems more reasonable that a new game will be revealed later after the KH 2.8 debuts in December. For now,?Kingdom Hearts III is currently still in development for the PS4 and Xbox One. And, rumors suggest an early release date in early 2017, most likely within April.
The Gamescom will run from August 19 to 21 in Cologne, Germany.
The following is the complete list of Square Enix games that will be playable at the Gamescom 2016:
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (PS4, Xbox One, PC) ? August 23, 2016
- Dragon Quest Builders (PS4, PS Vita) ? October 11, 2016
- Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age (PS4) ? 2017
- Final Fantasy XIV (PS4, PS3, PC) ? Available now
- Final Fantasy XV (PS4, Xbox One) ? September 30, 2016
- Hitman (PS4, Xbox One, PC) ? Available now as more episodes will be released throughout this year
- Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (PS4) ? December 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration (PS4, Xbox One, PC) ? October 11, 2016
- World of Final Fantasy (PS4, PS Vita) ? October 28, 2016