Some owners of HTC?s original One, the HTC One M7, can finally update their handsets to the current Android Lollipop OS. But for those who can?t wait for Google?s sweet, little Lollipop treat, here?s how you can get it on your device.
Official Android Lollipop roll out
If you own an HTC One M7 and you live in Europe, the long wait is over as the company has officially began seeding Android Lollipop in the region. Jeff Gordon, HTC?s Senior Global Online Communications Manager, confirmed the firmware upgrade arrival via Twitter last week. Meanwhile, those who are in the U.S. can also enjoy the latest Android OS provided their smartphones came from Sprint. T-Mobile One M7 users can begin tasting their own Lollipop fix starting on Tuesday, as announced by Mo Versi, the company?s VP for Product Management.
You will be able to check for the update manually by navigating to About Phone > Software Updates > and choosing ?Check Now.?
Steps to upgrade HTC One M7 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
For HTC One M7 users who don?t live in places mentioned above (or for those who do but can?t wait for the update arrival to their carrier), here how you can manually install Android Lollipop on your HTC handset. This workaround is brought to us by folks from Team Android, you can head out to their own post for the instructions or you may follow our outlined version below.
A word of caution before proceeding: This method involves the installation of a custom ROM that does not come from nor endorsed by HTC or Google; the outcome may not be as you expected and the method may even brick your device. If you continue, it means that you understand the risks and will not hold The Bitbag accountable for anything that goes wrong. This will also invalidate your device?s warranty.
- First, create a backup of all your important data as this method may wipe out everything. You may do so by using any custom recovery on your Android device.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone in order to connect it to the computer and use Android SDK with it. Do it be heading to Settings > About phone. Scroll down to Build number and tap on it seven times. The Developer options under Settings should now appear now.
- Your HTC One M7 should also have a battery capacity of at least 80%
- It should be rooted with the latest version of TWRP recovery installed.
- Download InsertCoin ROM for HTC One M7 on your computer.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable. Then move the downloaded file to the phone’s storage. Take note of the location.
- Transfer the ?boot.img? file to the ?android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools: directory.
- Turn off the phone.
- Enter Bootloader/Fastboot Mode by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons simultaneously.
- Once the device is in Fastboot mode, head to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open a command prompt. Press Shift + Right click >> Open Command Prompt.
- Type in the following command the press Enter:
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- After that, execute the following command and press Enter again:
- fastboot reboot
- Follow the navigation instructions displayed on the screen. Choose Bootloader and then go to Recovery.
- While in recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by selecting ?wipe data/factory reset.?
- Do a cache wipe by choosing ?wipe cache partition.?
- Go to ?advanced? and select wipe dalvik cache.
- Go back to the main recovery menu and select install zip from sdcard>> choose zip from sdcard and find folder where you?ve saved the InsertCoin ROM, choose it and confirm installation.
- Once the installation is completed, choose ?reboot system now.?
Photo Credit: ?HTC