I think a lot of users were disappointed when they found out that there wasn?t an official way on how to download Whatsapp for an Android tablet. Unless you?re using a 3G or LTE version of the Android tablet, you?re not going to be able to use the popular messaging app without a little fix.
But thanks to dedicated Android fans and free online tools, we can now install the popular messenger on your Wi-Fi only Android tablet and even use it to register your confirmation code! Here?s how:
Make sure you download the following:
- The Whatsapp .APK file which you can find?here.
- The textPlus ?app so you can receive a confirmation code for the registration process. Make sure this is installed on your Android tablet before you begin the process for installing Whatsapp.
So you want to know how to download Whatsapp for your Android tablet and register using the same device? Here are the steps:
- Install the .APK file on your SD card or the Android tablet by transferring the file from your PC to the device. Depending on where your tablet runs its apps, you might need to transfer it to the main internal memory.
- On your Android tablet, go to Settings>Apps>Security. On that menu, check ?Unknown Sources? on the administrator permissions. This means that you can now sideload apps from your PC to your Android tablet, bypassing the usual app store you use.
- Go to the folder or directory where you?ve transferred the .APK file and tap it and run. The installation process on how to download Whatsapp will now start. Allow the app to access the needed data on your tablet.
- ?Once the installation is finished, you?ll see the app icon in your app drawer. Tap it. Follow the setup instructions.
- When the setup process asks you to input a phone number, open up ?textPlus and use your own phone number from your smartphone or mobile phone to register for this service. Don?t worry, you?ll get a new textPlus number. The new number is found within the textPlus app when you go to Settings>Contact Info. Once you get the new number courtesy of textPlus, use it to receive the activation code from Whatsapp. ?This type of installation gives you a separate Whatsapp account.
- Wait for the code to arrive in a text message on the textPlus app. Use the code on the Whatsapp installation wizard.
- Once everything is done and set up, restart your tablet.
- You can now use your messaging service on your Android tablet.
If you don?t mind using your mobile phone (without Whatsapp) to register for an account, check out my guide here on how to download Whatsapp on the Android tablet with a separate mobile phone.
Do you have an iPad? Here’s how to install Whatsapp on the iPad with an iPhone or without one.
Do you have a Nokia phone? You may already have Whatsapp or you can see my guide on how to install Whatsapp on Nokia here.