There are a lot of reasons why someone would want to know how to delete a Facebook account. Perhaps they were victims of online bullies, or they want to make a new account and forget the old one, or they simply want to stop using Facebook or social media all together. Whatever the reason, deleting a Facebook account is easy but it takes some time.
Facebook likes to call it ‘deactivating’ your account, and the people over at the social media website even lets you download all the information stored on your page. You can get your photos, timeline, statuses and a lot of other information from your stay on Facebook by downloading from the website. Facebook suggests you do this when you’re about to delete your Facebook account.
It’s important to note, though, that deleting your account isn’t something that can be reversed. It’s not like most email services that keep your account disabled but accessible for a certain amount of time before it’s permanently purged from their system.
If you’re sure that you want to know how to delete a Facebook account, here’s how:
1. Click on the inverted triangle button on the top right corner of your Facebook feed. ?This shows a drop down menu.
2. Click on ‘Settings’. Your feed disappears and you are taken to your general account settings.
3. Click on the ‘Security’ option on the left sidebar. It’s the option with the gold badge.
4. At the bottom of the menu, you’ll see ‘Deactivate your account.’ It will take you to a page that will try to convince you not to deactivate it.
5. You’ll have to choose an option among the reasons why you have to deactivate your account. You can say it’s temporary, or someone has hacked your account or that you have privacy concerns. You also have to explain a bit further why you have to deactivate your account.
6. Click ‘Confirm’.
Now you know how to delete your Facebook account. You can always make a new one if you ever want to come back but your old data aren’t going to be there. You’ll also disappear from people’s timelines or tags.