The popular Japanese manga Gin Tama (Gintama) is getting a live-action adaptation and recently, it revealed its new cast for the film. The Gintama?movie, which will premiere in Japan this 2017, is confirmed to have wrapped up its production as early as the first week of September.
The Gintama?manga began in 2004 and since then, has a record of over 50 million copies print in Japan alone. The first 23 volumes of the manga, under an English sub was published by Viz Media. Shueisha published the Gintama Volume 65 in Japan last August.
With the Gintama live-action adaptation concluding its filming, according to the Anime News Network, some of the additional cast confirmed to have joined the film include:
- Hirofumi Arai as Niz? Okada
- Jiro Sato as Henpeita Takechi
- Nanao as Matako Kijima
- Ken Yasuda as Tetsuya Murata
- Akari Hayami as Tetsuko Murata
- Tsuyoshi Domoto as Shinsuke Takasugi
Meanwhile, previously announced cast of the Gintama film include:
- Shun Oguri as Gintoki Sakata, the protagonist who runs the Yorozuya shop
- Masaki Suda as Shinpachi Shimura, who works at Yorozuya
- Kanna Hashimoto as Kagura, another Yorozuya employee
- Masami Nagasawa as Tae Shimura, a physically strong girl and sister of Shinpachi
- Masaki Okada as Kotaro Katsura, Gintoki’s longtime sworn friend
- Tsuyoshi Muro as Gengai Hiraga, the properietor of Karakuri-d?
- Yuuya Yagira as Toshiro Hijikata, a Shinsengumi member who is most popular with girls
- Ryo Yoshizawa as Sougo Okita, a sharp-tounged Shinsengumi member
- Kankur? Nakamura VI as Isao Kondo, a Shinsengumi commander
The synopsis of the Gintama?story as featured on MyAnimeList says:
?The Amanto, aliens from outer space, have invaded Earth and taken over feudal Japan. As a result, a prohibition on swords has been established, and the samurai of Japan are treated with disregard as a consequence.
However one man, Gintoki Sakata, still possesses the heart of the samurai, although from his love of sweets and work as a yorozuya, one might not expect it. Accompanying him in his jack-of-all-trades line of work are Shinpachi Shimura, a boy with glasses and a strong heart, Kagura with her umbrella and seemingly bottomless stomach, as well as Sadaharu, their oversized pet dog. Of course, these odd jobs are not always simple, as they frequently have run-ins with the police, ragtag rebels, and assassins, oftentimes leading to humorous but unfortunate consequences.?