For many years, people have communicated through postcards, letters or through a telephone. And this takes a lot of time to get a response from each other. But nowadays, people rely on electronic communication to get their ideas and opinions across. But, now, gone were the days when they only rely on snail mail or long distance calls. Different social media tools are available right now and this has been a part of their lives?checking their E-mails, Facebook walls, Twitter messages as well as their Instagram accounts. They get connected with their friends and loved ones across distances in just a snap of the finger: buying things like clothes and There are also forums and chat rooms where users can exchange their thoughts and ideas as well as gain information on fields such as medicine, sports, movies and arts and crafts.? Virtual Communities? like Second Life provides means of enhancing and strengthening of bonds between people everywhere since information are readily posted and these are available immediately. At the same time, they give the users a sense of belonging with a few touches of a button. People can sympathize with one another readily as they are user-friendly and majority of it has no cost at all. Moreover, online marketplaces can provide shoppers with ways to connect directly with sellers without having to go through the hassle of going to stores due to low cost so, they earn membership fees for instance.
The Joys of Using Facebook
Due to Facebook, users can now connect with friends readily through posting of shout outs on each other’s walls?especially if they have a public profile?greeting each other on special occasions, selling products and services like plane tickets and travel packages, joining group discussions, playing online games such as Candy Crush Saga and SuperCity, posting advertisements as well as liking pages. In fact, more and more people have become so hooked up with using Facebook that users spend most of their day checking each other’s wall, gabbing through chat and playing games.
The Disadvantages of Using Facebook
Since Facebook allows users to view the on-going lives through their posts, this poses a threat in protecting their privacy, especially if they have set their profile as public. Anyone can see their posts as there’s no one to check and review the contents of their wall. They are more open to identity theft or online predators.
However, Facebook has an option that users can use in order to protect their privacy on their accounts. What they need to do on their own wall are:
- On the cover photo, click on … which is also beside the View Activity Log.
- Choose Timeline Settings.
- On Who can add things to my timeline, click on Edit.
- Under Who can post on your timeline, click on Friends.
- On Review posts friends tag you in before they appear on your timeline, click on Edit and.
- Click on Enabled.
- Finally, click on Close.
To further protect a user’s profile he can:
- On the cover photo, click on … beside View Activity Log.
- Choose Timeline Settings.
- On Who can see things on my timeline, click on Friends or Friends of Friends, which is under Who can see posts you’ve been tagged in on your timeline?
- On Who can see what others post on your timeline?, click on Friends or Friends of Friends.
- On How can I manage tags people add and tagging suggestions?, click on Enabled, which is under Review tags people add to your own posts before the tags appear on Facebook?
- Under When you’re tagged in a post, who do you want to add to the audience if they aren’t already in it?, click on Friends.
- Under Who sees tag suggestions when photos that look like you are uploaded?, click on Friends.
- Click on Close.
Photograph from Wikipedia Commons