BAFTA Game Awards: Naughty Dog and Playstation 3’s ? Last Of Us ? Gets Big Wins; Rockstar Sparkles
The recently concluded BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) awards for video games included a number of heavyweight and newcomers in the Best Video Game category (Do read our post on surprise indie game nominee Papers, Please – ?Papers, Please: Boring Paperwork Simulator Game About Border Inspector Becomes A Hit; Gets BAFTA Nomination for Best Video Game? https://www.thebitbag.com/papers-please-boring-paperwork-simulator-game-border-inspector-becomes-hit-gets-bafta-nomination-best-video-game/71401 )
The biggest winner at the awards night was no surprise however, as early favorite ?Last Of Us? garnered the most accolades.
Last of Us, a survival game in a post-apocalyptic setting, is a game developed exclusively for the Playstation 3 console by video game developer Naughty Dog.
The game won numerous awards such as Best Story, Best Audio Achievement, Best Action and Adventure, Best Performer ( Ashley Johnson as Ellie ) and the top award of Best Game.
The ceremony was held at the Tobacco Wharf in London and was hosted by Irish comedian and television presenter Dara O’Brian.
In his message, Neil Druckman, the creative director of ?Last of Us? said that ? It is a very great honour to be recognised by the Academy with such prestigious accolades….Leading the nominations in the company of such hallowed fellow nominees was both gratifying and humbling. But for?The Last of Us?to actually walk away with five awards on the night felt incredible. Thank you so much to everyone who voted – the whole team is delighted.?
Other awardees included Rockstar ( the mega developer of hits like Max Payne, L.A. Noire, Bully, Manhunt, Red Dead, Midnight Club and of course, Grand Theft Auto) who was given the BAFTA Fellowship Award.
Rockstar, a developer from Scotland, won its very first BAFTA way back in 1995 and was clearly a crowd favorite as evidenced by the standing ovation it received during the ceremony.
Dan Houser, a co-founder of Rockstar said ?This is a tremendous honor for us as a mostly British-run company…...This is the first time, as far as I know, that BAFTA has given an award to 900 people…...Rockstar is a team and a family and it has always been our policy to focus on collaboration. Games are made by hundreds of amazingly talented people, sometimes happily, sometimes with screaming arguments, but always with a passion for the project.?
Gamer favorite Grand Theft Auto also went home with a number of awards for Best Multiplayer, Best Game Design, and Best British Game.
Here is the full awards list for the BAFTA Games Division:
- Best action and adventure:?The Last of Us?(Naughty Dog)
- Debut game:?Gone Home?(The Fallbright Company)
- British game:?Grand Theft Auto 5?(Rockstar)
- Best music:?Bioshock Infinite?(Irrational Games)
- Best story:?The Last of Us?(Naughty Dog)
- Strategy and simulation:?Papers, Please?(Lucas Pope)
- Artistic achievement:?Tearaway?(Media Molecule)
- Audio achievement:?The Last of Us?(Naughty Dog)
- Sport:?FIFA 14?(EA Sports)
- Family:?Tearaway?(Media Molecule)
- Game innovation:?Brothers: A tale of Two Sons?(Starbreeze Studios)
- Mobile and handheld:?Tearaway?(Media Molecule)
- One to watch:?Size DOES Matter?(Team DOS)
- Game design:?Grand Theft Auto 5?(Rockstar)
- Multiplayer:?Grand Theft Auto 5?(Rockstar)
- Best performer:?Ashley Johnson as Ellie in?The Last of Us?(Naughty Dog)
- Best game:?The Last of Us?(Naughty Dog)
- BAFTA Fellowship:?Rockstar Games