Netflix’s breakout series 13 Reasons Why just premiered over a month ago. We know it hasn’t been long, but if you loved the show, chances are you are already looking forward to its second season. Although the streaming service giant has yet to give an exact release date, we already have several key details about its sophomore run.
Of course, more solid information should surface over the next few months but we might as well start getting ourselves all riled up, right? Well then, here’s what we know about 13 Reasons Why Season 2.
What will 13 Reasons Why Season 2 be about?
Hannah Baker was the driving force of Season 1. While the character will still be involved come Season 2, showrunner Brian Yorkey says the plot will no longer center around the late high school student. Here’s what we can expect from the upcoming season, according to him:
- The new season picks up “a number of months after the first season ended.”
- There will still be multiple timelines and a voiceover every episode, but Hannah won’t be the one doing that anymore.
- Hannah’s cassette tapes will still be hanging around, “but there will be a new piece of technology for 13-year-olds to Google and try to understand what it was.”
- Season 2 will have some new context to fill in the gaps “in our understanding of who Hannah Baker was and what her life was.”
- It will also dive deeper into her friend Jessica’s story “as she goes back to school, as she tries to begin to recover from what happened to her because it’s something that millions of young women go through.”
- The season will explore “the way we raise boys up into men and the way we treat girls in our culture – and what we could do better in both cases.”
- Generally, it will explore where all the events from Season 1 will go and answer all of the burning questions that people have about them, including the bullying, Jessica’s rape, Alex’s apparent suicide attempt, and Hannah’s rape.
Am i the only one that believes that Alex didnt actually shoot himself, that Tyler did it????#ThirteenReasonsWhy
— ? (@xocatqueenox) April 11, 2017
When the new episodes are released, Netflix will likely post appropriate warnings before the show starts, though it appears that the graphic content will not be altered.
13 Reasons Why Season 2 Cast: Who’s returning?
The show has yet to confirm, but all the core characters are expected to return for Season 2, including Dylan Minnette (Clay Jensen), Katherine Langford (Hannah Baker), Christian Navarro (Tony Padilla), Alisha Boe (Jessica Davis), Brandon Flynn (Justin Foley), Justin Prentice (Bryce Walker), Miles Heizer (Alex Standall), and Devin Druid (Tyler Down).
Ross Butler, who played Zach Dempsey in the pilot season, has let go of Riverdale Season 2 due to conflicting schedules so he’s definitely coming back as well.
Behind the camera, Selena Gomez will likely executive produce again. Although many fans urge her to make an appearance, Amy Hargreaves, who stars as Mrs. Jensen, Clay’s mom, says the songstress may not get in front of the camera next season.
“It would become so much more about Selena Gomez and not about the story,” the actress said, per People. “It would kinda distract from the main story. So I can’t imagine that she would pop up for a cameo, but who knows? You never know.”
It remains to be seen also if the show will introduce new characters, granted Season 2 isn’t a direct adaptation of the novel.
When is the 13 Reasons Why Season 2 release date?
Netflix confirmed that the sophomore run will consist of another 13 episodes streaming on the site next year. Netflix shows traditionally take around a year to write and film, so it could be back as early as Spring 2018. At this point, Yorkey says the episodes are still being written and they have yet to commence filming them.