Forum member coveman from tortuga-cove has released Open PS2 Loader v0.8 ISO for non-backwards compatible PS3 consoles. For those unfamiliar with Open PS2 Loader (OPL), it’s a PS2 ISO loader originally developed for the PS2 (remember Free McBoot?).
Keep in mind, in order to boot the Open PS2 Loader ISO, you’ll need the Cobra USB device. What luck! We’re giving away 5 Cobra USB devices this month!
I created an “Open PS2 Loader” ISO file, so you can just load it from Cobra Manager or multiMAN.
You don’t need SWAP MAGIC
You don’t need any optical disc at all in your PS3
Works on non-backwards compatible PS3 (fat and slim)
Requirements for tutorial:
- Jailbroken PS3
- Cobra USB device
- Cobra USB custom firmware v3.55 installed on PS3
- USB flash drive
- External USB hard drive
- USBUtil v2.00 (see download below)
- Open PS2 Loader v0.8 ISO (see download below)
- ESR disc patcher GUI v0.24a (see download below)
- Extract the Open PS2 Loader (ISO).rar file
- Transfer Open PS2 Loader.ISO to /dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/ found on your internal PS3 HDD
- Using Windows XP/Vista/7, format external USB hard drive as FAT 32.
- Use ESR disc patcher GUI app to patch your PS2 ISO
- Use USBUtil to transfer your patched PS2 ISO to your USB hard drive (step #3 must be completed)
- Plug in external USB hard drive to PS3 and Cobra USB device
- Start PS3 Open PS2 Loader from Cobra Manager or multiMAN Cobra Manager
- Note: Cobra Manager needs Cobra USB custom firmware
Cheers to RazorX for tutorial tips!
I included the cover so you can either put it in /covers_retro/psx/SLES_806.08_COV.JPG or rename it to “Open PS2 Loader.jpg” and put it along side the ISO in PS2ISO folder.
Download Open PS2 Loader v0.8 ISO with USBUtil v2.00 and ESR Disc Patcher v0.24a »