I had a long talk with James Hawk, group manager for Games Platform Business Development today. I wanted to get all the details on the new Game Room they plan on launching. Here are some things you should know:
- Pricing should be $2-3 dollars per game per system or $5 for both versions of the game. You can literally log in while you at work just to beat someone’s score.
- They eventually want to emulate all games. Yep, every single arcade and classic console game ever made. Think of Virtual Console on steroids. They mentioned their interest in Dreamcast emulation as well. They want to get the product out first and then start beefing up the library after they see how well it does.
- It’s not only for Gold members. The service is free to Gold and Silver members, you only have to pay for the games.
- Games will have achievements. Games from the fucking 80′s will have ACHIEVEMENTS!!
- If you don’t own a certain game and your friend who does own it challenges you, you can play it one time for free.
- Even though there is a ranking mode that updates to Xbox Live leaderboards, you still get to post high scores on your personal arcade and only your friends can beat them. If one of your friends beats your high score, it will show on a banner above the game so you’ll know exactly which games you should play.
That is all. I have a full audio interview but haven’t listened to it yet. If the quality is good I’ll post it. This is the most exciting gaming news of the year for me. I was just talking about how it’s too bad that a lot of gamers never got a chance to go to the arcade. Well now you can. Look for a Spring launch of Game Room.