Just got back from Microsoft’s Blogger Breakfast and it was a hoot! The smoked bacon was delicious! Several bloggers got to throw questions at Chris Satchell, Aaron Greenberg and John Schappert. They answered all the questions and even recruited Ron Workman to their PR team. Here are the bullets as I wrote them down:
XNA Community Program
- Games get put in escrow before they are available on XBLA
- Games will be reviewed by peers in the Community Program
- Games are all unrated. No ESRB intervention
- There may be a possible file size increase in the future to accommodate game developers.
- No word or news on possible money making opportunities for community developers
- Games probably won’t be restricted by region. In other words, you’ll probably be able to play games from Japan and Europe. MS is still looking into this.
- Game creators will retain all rights to their games.
- There will be no certification for XNA community developed games.
- Stats for XNA downloads may be implemented in the future
- No achievements for XNA community games
- Friends lists probably won’t work on XNA community games. They are still working on it.
- Dream, Build, Play will continue
- Microsoft believes it is VERY important to promote independent content
- Microsoft believes that the XNA Community program is a great way to farm content
- Microsoft said holiday sales were better than expected
- More systems available in March
Xbox Live Downtime Over The Holidays
- Xbox Live outage due to overwhelming holiday response
- 1,000,000 concurrent users on before Super Bowl playing Madden
- 4,000,000 new Live Gold subscribers in 6 months
Xbox 360 Blu-Ray Player Possibilities
- Microsoft doesn’t care about Blu-Ray at this time
- Xbox 360 is a game machine not a movie player
- If you must watch movies on it, there’s Video Marketplace
- 3% attach rate for HD-DVD add-on
Red Ring Of Death Still An Issue?
- Failure rate has officially dropped
- Microsoft is working on the DRM issue with downloaded content
- DRM issue only affects those who don’t have access to Live
- In the interim, Microsoft will refund ALL your MS Points to re-download your content
UT3 Mods And DIY Hard Drive Upgrades(Sony allows this why not MS)
- Microsoft believes in a safe and secure environment and it’s why they have so much on lock down.
- UT3 issue is still being worked on
- Microsoft cares more about security than their competitors and for good reason
- When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV
- It will be bigger than a lot of people think.Â GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3.Â Think of the DLC that way.Â We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
- No price has been discussed yet.Â It’s up to Rockstar on whether or not they will charge for it
- If successful, DLC may be the new way to deliver GTA expansions
Mass Effect Sex Scandal
- Microsoft called it, “Irresponsible journalism”
- Said that someone was probably trying to make a name for themself by bashing a video game
Spring Dashboard Update